Monday, July 2, 2007

...and I'm back.

It's been an agonizing fortnight as a combination of my sore knee and a cold put things on hold. I never would have thought that not being able to run for two weeks would put such a dampener on things as I felt somewhat like the Perth weather of recent times.

The sun however has come out and after two weeks of physiotherapy, icing, stretching and just rest I managed to get out for a little 5 km'er yesterday. I definitely could have gone further but thought it would be best to start small again.

The good news is that I pulled up with no niggles at all, and the remaining 2% or so soreness in my knee didn't flare up. I will probably resume running every second day gradually increasing back to what I was doing pre injury and fingers crossed I do hope to start getting along to the runs in the hills pretty soon. I'm thinking as you said Jon, towards the end of the month. Around that time I also would like to regularly join the wed night wamc runs too.

Oh yes...my orthotics which I finally picked up were part of my comeback run yesterday. I'll give an update on how I think they are going after wednesdays run.

... it's so good to be back, fingers crossed I don't go back to the injury basket any time soon.

2 comments:

Celeste said...

Welcome back! Let me know how the orthodics go. I'd be interested to hear about any discomfort or blisters.

trailblazer777 said...

great to see you back after a significant pitstop for repairs...hopefully good for a few hundred,thousand km before the next service...
world class runners have physio for injury prevention every day
so its quite normal to get some injury treatment,prevention every now and then...

I'd advice a cold pack frozen peas or iceblocks, or a proper icepack for 10min on the knee...

also with the wind I find wearing hat backwards leighton hewitt style stops the wind blowing it off...

all the best with the orthotics,sounds like they are a good fit.

Look forward to hearing about you working up into that 10km-25km range in the coming months. Intervals or reps the key to improving your times, but first you have to build a strong foundation of long runs, once that is in place for 4-8 weeks you can add intervals to the mix.
with your 15k you've already banked a week or two of base, and youve got back into it quick enough not to lose much strength...way to go!