Sunday, July 15, 2007

Nice day for a half marathon.

Things appear to be falling into place as my training starts notching up again. Yesterday was perfect conditions to get out running in Perth with no winds, the sun out but far from scorching for this time of year.

My long run was supposed to be on Sunday but I couldn't wait till then! I worked out a course that I can run from home and into the city, around the bridges via east Perth and home again.... All up it was 21km and took 2:17:52 including drink breaks which I'm happy enough with as it was supposed to be slow.

Since there are so many bubblers to get a drink from on the way I didn't take any fluids along with me for the run. I stopped probably three times to catch a quick drink and at around the 18km mark took a Gu Vanilla Bean gel (that I carried in one of the pockets in my race ready shorts www.raceready.com )and washed it down. I've got no doubt that this helped in the last few km's giving my that extra edge. I hadn't had the vanilla before and didn't mind the taste or texture at all.

My muscles were pretty sore afterwards, and indeed in the last 2 km but later in the evening hardly felt anything lingering. Today I was itching to go out for another run and probably could have done just a recovery run but thought it best to give the joints a breather after such a long run on sat.

Over the course of the coming months I'll be increasing my distance for the long runs, with next week going for a 23km... after yesterday, I'm really looking forward to it!

6 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Well done! on an excellent run and on going beyond the 20km and more importantly the 2 hour barrier...thats a major achievement, especially on your own for the first time.

Good to hear you getting some fluids along the way as it starts to become crucial for avoiding significant dehydration (and other potentially catastrophic effects) in distances this far and longer...

If it was me I'd be havin that GU a touch earlier maybe somewhere around 90minutes (or earlier) if you are going for more than 2 hours.

The raceready stuff sounds interesting...

Might be time to buy a hydration pack or fuel belt?

If you can bank a few more of those 2 hour runs like that one in the next few weeks, you'll only be some fast intervals work away from going sub 2 hours in a half marathon race for sure...

Bank about 4-7 2 hour to 3hr 30 runs and the marathon is yours for the taking in sub 5 hours I reckon...based on the times you are doing.

Sounds great!
Way to go!

trailblazer777 said...

killer pythons and gatorade and/or salted peanuts or potatao chips, maybe some coca cola straight after run are good to get the body renergised after its lost glycogen and salt->cramps after a long 2 hour plus run...

Matt said...

Hi Rich, cool blog. Glad to read that your training is going well. Keep up the great work, looking forward to hearing more.

Celeste said...

I can't believe how much you have improved in such a short time!! You are amazing! And now running half marathon distances with ease!!!

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

Really enjoying reading your blog. Always great reading what other runners are learning and trying. I'm a long-time runner who is always challenged with managing my weight. Good luck with your longer training It's that time of year to up the mileage Keep up the good running and posting.

Tom

http://blog.runnerslounge.com

Anonymous said...

parentheses bonuses dyslexia consult mindful inheritance rensselaer working include supplements haystack
lolikneri havaqatsu