Sunday, July 8, 2007

A Great Weekend

My return to training over the last week, and particularly over the weekend is certainly giving me a great deal of confidence. On Saturday I wanted to get back to where I was prior to my knee injury and set out for a 15km from home around the bridges and back again. I didn't feel puffed at any stage and not really any soreness either as I finished at an avg 6.20 pace.

With a bit of icing, compression in the skins and elevation, I hardly would have known that I'd just gone the distance feeling no niggles whatsoever.

Initially I had planned on resting today but after catching the last few runners in the Perth marathon and feeling so good I set out for a 12km run. About half of this run in the afternoon was along some of the marathon course as I saw the markers still there by the side of the track, and a good 20 or so Gu wrappers too.

The weather wasn't very good, but as I indicated in my last post, the rain is actually pretty grounding and didn't annoy me in the slightest. I was keen to extend it out to another 15km but thought it probably wasn't the best idea for my body.

Avg'd 6.05 pace for this run and sitting here after a tasty sunday night roast am very pleased that again I feel no soreness anywhere. For me at least it really does appear that the orthotics are what I needed all along and have no regrets spending the $$ on them now.

As much as I want to do some running tomorrow I think with the km's I have done over the last few days my body really does need a rest and will resume on Tuesday night, with some cross training, ie cycling to work to even things out.

Congrats to all that went in the marathon today! I hope to join you next yr.

3 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Well done on the 27km for the weekend! Excellent stuff! A few more of those 15km runs, plus maybe an 18km-20km, and some good faster work (maybe some 1km reps- flat out for 4x1km 5 minute rests on an athletics track or course you make on a good grass surface, or very flat road some good roads in south perth between perth zoo and kwinana freeway), a 12km time trial (similiar intensity to your challenge 10k race), and you will be ready for a good half marathon in August or September, and then keep building and you will be well prepared for a shot at the marathon next year.

Thanks for the encouraging comments on my blog, If I can encourage others in the right direction that is something very worthwhile I think.

so suggested weekly program;
1km reps on a weekday you feel good, 10km or 12km timetrial on a saturday, 15km-20km slow long run on Sunday, should give you a chance of a sub 2.20 maybe even sub 2 hr half marathon.

Good idea to rest up after the 27km you have done this weekend, a day or twos rest will do you good...

trailblazer777 said...

eliminate any drugs in the system will help too, i.e. try to ensure the wine tasting is in moderation, and not too close to a major run as alcohol like lots of caffeine (coffee,coke,red bull!), or tea are all diuretics which means they steal water from your system and dehydrate you a little. Longer runs the runner is battling to rehydrate anyway, so diuretics can give the runner an even bigger hurdle to overcome!

Celeste said...

So you are thinking of the marathon next year eh? I still think that a HALF marathon is an awfully long way.

Sounds like you are really enjoying your running at the moment. Good on you.