Saturday, June 2, 2007

Recovery week and....Joggling

After the big race on Sunday I substantially dropped the amount of running this week. With only one midweek run of 5kms, and this morning I went out for a 12km. In coming posts I'll put up my regular running routes.

The other reason for dropping off the amount of running is because of an injury I've sustained over the last two weeks and saw a podiatrist about. That being achilles tendonitis which flares up on anything over 10km, though luckily went away completely in two days off. I've had it flare up twice now and the running over the next few days will probably determine whether or not orthotics are on the cards.

I have another appointment with my podiatrist next Wednesday afternoon which will probably leave me $500 or even more worse off depending on his recommendation!! Here's hoping it was just part of my body getting used to the longer distances.

Now what's this all got to do with Joggling? Actually what the heck is joggling? That's exactly what I was thinking when I went to watch this video from last week. No hints from me, you will have to watch it yourself :) Joggling

4 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

Rich thanks for the comments, its great to see the number of Perth people blogging and running increasing and interacting.

Well done on the 12km. When you are ready to run 19km (say in a month or twos time), you'll have to come run the trails in the hills...

If you can run 25-30km at around 6-8min per km you should finish the Marathon in around 4-6 hours. If you want to run under 4hrs 30 min and certainly if you want to run under 4 hours then you need to do more than just one 25-30km run and you also need to do the right faster speed work. I'd recommend increasing your longest run by about 3-5km every 2-4 weeks.

The achilles is annoying injury. rest for a few days will get rid of it for one or two days, but then it often will flare up again.
As I posted on Celestes blog, 3x30 calf raises every day for a few weeks/months or maybe a bit more reps or sets, plus perhaps weights to increase load on calf muscles, will strengthen up that area and MAY stop the achilles inflammation from occurring again.
It worked for me. But might be best if you check with a physio etc first.

Runner Susan said...

Welcome to the RBF Rich. Good luck at your podiatrist visit.

Celeste said...

Joggling? Man there are some weird sports out there. I don't have much coordination, but juggling is actually something I CAN do! Hmmmm, I'm still a long way from breaking any records.

Good to see you are not mucking around with the achilles injury. They are not pleasant and best to be repaired fully.

Rich said...

Thanks for the comments all.

I attempted to get a few calf raises under my belt today but the achilles started to get a tad too sore. I have the app't with my podiatrist tomorrow so hopefully I'll be able to beat this thing. I'm actually hoping he does recommend orthotics if it will mean running injury free.