Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Orthotics are a go!

After a visit with my podiatrist this afternoon I was recommended and accepted the option of getting some custom fit orthotics. I initially have mixed feelings about this, somewhat the money aspect, ie $595!!!!! that includes the few visits to my pod as well, but also as a few people I have seen around the traps mentioning that they get your body totally reliant on them which may prove a problem in the future.

However, on a positive note, it appears to be that approximately %70 of those that have subscribed to such measures have reported a substantial decrease in injury with their running. It's with this confidence that I am actually looking forward to getting my hands on them so I can start kicking out the km's I've been wanting to over the last month.

Next Friday I will get the chance to pick them up and have them fitted to my Kayanos, though he did say I can move down to the 2120's which will make my bank account a lot healthier with the next pair of shoes that I need to buy. I always envisioned that getting my cast done would involve putting my feet into some massive white boxes 30cm x 30cm for some reason, but it turned out to be nothing more than a little dip in the water of some fabric with the cast that he moulded by hand around each foot.

Taking my pod's advice I'll drop my km's over the next week both in length and intensity which is quite the opposite of what I really want to do but I'm sure it'll be better in the long run. I'm itching to get my hands on these plasticy/rubbery things that'll hopefully correct my bio-mechanical probs and let me get back to what I really love doing the most.

4 comments:

Celeste said...

I'll be interested to hear how you find the orthodics. Also my physio said you can get them these days quite soft and flexible as opposed to the standard old hard plastic.

Good on you for really embracing this running thing!!! Whoever said running was a cheap sport was NOT a runner!!

WS said...

I also got orthotics recently, but can't really tell whether it makes a huge difference to my legs. All the best and happy training !

TS&TF

Anonymous said...

I have managed to avoid orthotics thus far.

I'm a big 2110 fan, I tried kayano's but returned to my old trusty favourites

happy running!

trailblazer777 said...

I got orthotics a few years ago but didn't like them.

Latest R4YL (run for your life) running magazine (april/may edition) has a whole article on beating achilles problems.