Wednesday, August 1, 2007

Hump day

I heard today that hump day will be officially entered into the dictionary... getting your mind out of the gutter, it simply is referring to Wednesday where the slope of the working week is on its way down.

I wish that my running came to some sort of a peak today but since last week I only have had one outing last sunday as I ventured out on what I was hoping for an easy 12km. After the first two km that nasty nasty feeling I had in my right knee emerged and I thought it would be best to turn back home so I only got a measly 4km all up for last week.

Walking around the last few days at work I am thankfully not in any pain but I feel like someone has placed a 5c coin under my right knee cap!? The sensation today is quite mild really though I believe another few days rest is unfortunately in order.

I am planning this Sunday to bust up another long run to hopefully get myself back to square one for the um third time in so many months. Someone from work commiserated at what seems like I every second week am having another draw back and indicated that I will probably give this whole thing up...

No way!! It's been a difficult learning curve but I am still highly motivated to push myself to run over long distances, and most importantly, doing it injury free.

As I have been warming the bench & not out there as much as I would have like to, I have taken the time to listen to quite a few podcasts from http://www.mysteriousuniverse.org It contains some pretty out there stuff aka ufo's, conspiracy theories etc but leaves me at night with something interesting to imagine as I drift off to sleep. Happy running, & I hope to be back out there soon!

8 comments:

trailblazer777 said...

probably worth investing some time and money at a good physio to try and identify and sort out any injury concerns, it can be frustrating for months, but then again you can go for years without any major problems too...

Tom@RunnersLounge said...

I agree with Trailblazer777. Just knowing what it is can be priceless. Unless it's a true joint matter, often times knee pain can be improved with stengthening the muscles around the knee. I've had weird pains that went away almost as instantly as it appeared with the right strengthening routine. Keep up the good work!

Anonymous said...

When I started running longer, it was well worth the money for a good massage therapist. They can make the aches and pains go away like nobody else. This keeps you from "favoring" sore areas and creating injuries.

panasonic massage chairs

Anonymous said...

A 5c coin under your knee. Ouch! My knees grind like they are trying to make sausage. At work they can hear me coming down the hall. Hope you bounce back and continue your journey. Thanks for the note today.

Epi said...

If it meks you feel any better, I have had almost every overuse pain too over the last couple of years, nearly always when I got ahhead of myself in distance or speed, or when i kept old shoes too long.

Is the feeling under the kneecap deep to the knee cap or distal to the kneecap(towards the toes). The first more likely patellofemoral pain and helped by strengthening exercises, the latter a tendonitis needing ice, reduction in speed and softer surfaces.

Anonymous said...

That person at work should just take a long walk off a short plank.

Get yourself checked out to make sure it is nothing serious otherwise I am sure it will settle. My knee gave me a bit of gyp when I started running, I used to ice it after every run. Then I started taking glucosamine and chdroitin (sp), you can get it on one tablet, since the no drama's at all.

But see a professional first, I am sure you will be fine.

Anonymous said...

Oi, achei teu blog pelo google tá bem interessante gostei desse post. Quando der dá uma passada pelo meu blog, é sobre camisetas personalizadas, mostra passo a passo como criar uma camiseta personalizada bem maneira. Se você quiser linkar meu blog no seu eu ficaria agradecido, até mais e sucesso.(If you speak English can see the version in English of the Camiseta Personalizada.If he will be possible add my blog in your blogroll I thankful, bye friend).

Rich said...

A free chocolate Gu to the first person that can translate the last post. I'm sure it's just spam but out of interests sake I'll leave it here for now.

ps- thx for all of the other comments!